I figured I would make most of my time while I watch the UK vs. Cornell basketball game. I laugh at the fact that usually 10:00 is way too late for me to stay up and watch a game, especially on a Thursday night. That thought process is out the window considering we have a 3 day old at home now!
So far, Jake is as precious as he looks in the pictures. He reminds me so much of Kate with the only exception being that he likes to be held more. As an infant, and even now, Kate has never been one who likes snuggling. I remember when she was just 2 weeks old, I could not console her and my mom recommended just laying her on her back on a blanket on the floor...that was the trick for her. As I stated in the previous blog, our first night at home was rough but we survived, just as we will the next several days/weeks. It is only a matter of time before we figure out the tricks of trade for Jake!
Everything went extremely well with the delivery. After pushing for over an hour with Kate, I only had to push 4 times through 1 contraction and Jake was laying on my chest. He started crying instantly. I tried to nurse him immediately after delivery, which didn't go as well as I hoped so his first several hours of life were pretty rough while the poked and prodded him. My recovery was a little longer than expected due to some problems with bleeding; however, I finally got up to the recovery floor around 7:00 p.m. and was able to feed him without problems.
So far, his check-ups seem to be good. The neonatologist did hear several heart murmurs upon his initial exam, which were later diagnosed as 3 separate Ventrical Septal Defects (VSD's) or little holes in the heart. Kate and I both have the same problem, which have not led to any problems! Kate had 2 at birth and 1 of her's has closed. The other one will just need monitoring by a cardiologist. Let's hope the same for Jake!
His 1st post-hospital well baby check is tomorrow morning so Ryan and I will both be able to go to that. The only concern I have had since birth is whether or not he is getting enough breastmilk, which I know all nursing mom's stress about. My milk finally came in this evening so I feel much better. I am anxious to get his weight tomorrow!
Kate has been incredible during this process as well. I know I stated in an earlier blog that one of my favorite things about this pregnancy was educating and watching Kate's response to all the different stages of pregnancy. She was extremely excited about Jake's arrival and was a trooper as Ryan and I were in the hospital for 2 nights. A HUGE thank you goes out to Jo and Michael for taking the time out of their life to stay at our house with Kate, Brooks, and Cooper. Their added love and attention helped Kate adjust to this life changing event. I know as an adult she will not remember much of her life "pre-Jake"; however, this week, her life has completely changed and she has done great. She is very gentle with him and wants to help in any way. I anticipated her to digress in some fashion but so far so good.
So far, Jake is as precious as he looks in the pictures. He reminds me so much of Kate with the only exception being that he likes to be held more. As an infant, and even now, Kate has never been one who likes snuggling. I remember when she was just 2 weeks old, I could not console her and my mom recommended just laying her on her back on a blanket on the floor...that was the trick for her. As I stated in the previous blog, our first night at home was rough but we survived, just as we will the next several days/weeks. It is only a matter of time before we figure out the tricks of trade for Jake!
Everything went extremely well with the delivery. After pushing for over an hour with Kate, I only had to push 4 times through 1 contraction and Jake was laying on my chest. He started crying instantly. I tried to nurse him immediately after delivery, which didn't go as well as I hoped so his first several hours of life were pretty rough while the poked and prodded him. My recovery was a little longer than expected due to some problems with bleeding; however, I finally got up to the recovery floor around 7:00 p.m. and was able to feed him without problems.
So far, his check-ups seem to be good. The neonatologist did hear several heart murmurs upon his initial exam, which were later diagnosed as 3 separate Ventrical Septal Defects (VSD's) or little holes in the heart. Kate and I both have the same problem, which have not led to any problems! Kate had 2 at birth and 1 of her's has closed. The other one will just need monitoring by a cardiologist. Let's hope the same for Jake!
His 1st post-hospital well baby check is tomorrow morning so Ryan and I will both be able to go to that. The only concern I have had since birth is whether or not he is getting enough breastmilk, which I know all nursing mom's stress about. My milk finally came in this evening so I feel much better. I am anxious to get his weight tomorrow!
Kate has been incredible during this process as well. I know I stated in an earlier blog that one of my favorite things about this pregnancy was educating and watching Kate's response to all the different stages of pregnancy. She was extremely excited about Jake's arrival and was a trooper as Ryan and I were in the hospital for 2 nights. A HUGE thank you goes out to Jo and Michael for taking the time out of their life to stay at our house with Kate, Brooks, and Cooper. Their added love and attention helped Kate adjust to this life changing event. I know as an adult she will not remember much of her life "pre-Jake"; however, this week, her life has completely changed and she has done great. She is very gentle with him and wants to help in any way. I anticipated her to digress in some fashion but so far so good.
Another big thank you goes out to everyone who has come to visit and brought all the goodies for us (and most importantly Kate), both in the hospital and at home - my mom, dad, Janet and John, Jo and Michael, Judd, Jen, and the girls, Ann, Jennifer, April, Michele, and Angie (one of Ryan's friends from work). April and Jon come over this evening for dinner and watch the game! We feel so lucky to be surrounded by so many people!
I will keep everyone posted on our progress towards normalacy! We could not be more excited for all the change and are trying to enjoy every minute...even the challenging ones.

http://picasaweb.google.com/whitneymardis/JakeLeviMardis1st36Hours##
I will keep everyone posted on our progress towards normalacy! We could not be more excited for all the change and are trying to enjoy every minute...even the challenging ones.
1 comment:
Bless you and congratulations Whitney. I admire you for blogging after your second birth.
Janet in VB
Post a Comment