Sunday, June 17, 2012

A new milestone for Kate

Several weeks ago we told Kate that she had to learn how to ride a bike by her birthday.  We knew this would open the door to so much more exploring of the neighborhood and Ryan and I were both anxious to get rid of the loudness that surrounds a set of training wheels on a cheap bike.  Kate was a little hesitant at 1st but agreed to work on it every night last week while I was traveling for work.  Tuesday night consisted of a lot of Ryan running beside the bike letting go for 50-100 feet at a time.  By Wednesday she has gained a little more confidence and once her best friend Grace came out to ride with her, she was off.  She watched Grace go down the street 1 time and she looked back at Ryan and said, "daddy you can let go now."  This will not be the last time that phrase is uttered from her mouth and I am sure it will make me cry each and every time she says it.  Daddy letting go of his little girl.

Once she did it, she has never looked back.  We have explored several holes of the golf course each of the last several nights and hooked up the bike carriage to the back of my bike so Jake gets to join in on the nightly fun!  I am so proud of her as she is of herself.  Here are a few videos and action shots of the big milestone.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kate! Biking is something you will enjoy your whole life--just like swimming. I am so happy your parents have worked with you to make these two skills an important part of your life.
I may be a bit biased (LOL), but, yes, I agree, Ryan is a wonderful father. Everyone can see that his family means everything to him (ALL of you).

nanajo said...

Didn't mean to press the "anonymous" button!