Saturday, June 9, 2012

10th 1/2 Marathon

Several weeks ago I completed my 10th 1/2 Marathon!  For those of you that know me, I run for the weight management benefit - not necessarily for the "love" of it!  As a stocky 5'2" ex-gymnast, running is not in my blood but I do it because I know there is nothing better than the euphoria you get after finishing a long run!  The feeling of finishing an early morning run knowing that you still have the rest of the day ahead of you!  The feeling of pushing yourself outside your comfort zone and knowing the power is in your hands in whether or not your finish.

I don't often talk about work on our family blog but my work environment today is so much different than I have experienced since leaving the Navy in 2004.  I am in a leadership role because I love to push people beyond their comfort zone.  I love the feeling of looking back at the previous year's development and know that you played an integral role by challenging them to do new things!  The people I work with today are far more motivating to me than they will ever know.  During my previous DM role, I longed for the day that I challenged someone to do something new and they follow through.  With my new team, they welcome the challenge with open arms.  Here is a great example...

One night this winter, one of my reps and I decided to go running at her local YMCA after work.  I was in Fort Wayne for a few nights and welcomed the idea of getting some fresh air!  When I mentioned that I was training for the Derby Festival 1/2 Marathon, she jumped on the challenge to run it together!  This is the accountability I yearned for during my solo training.  I challenged her to start runnning again but it was her enthusiasm that reenergized me to put in the extra hours of training each week!  Even though she was quite a bit faster, we did the race together.  Mentally we pushed each other to keep running - no matter what!  Thank you Beth for welcoming the challenge and helping me through the long runs!

Here is the before at the start line:

Here is the after:

No comments: