Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Twas the night before kindergarten

Twas the night before kindergarten...again...and yet again. Who knew the start of kindergarten would end up being so difficult.

We are definitely "green" to the reality of elementary school! Our reality was as follows:
purple kindergarten t-shirt - CHECK
packed Ariel lunch box - CHECK
loaded back pack - CHECK
braided hair - CHECK
brushed teeth - CHECK
a well rested and fed little girl - CHECK
1st day of school pictures (a lot of them) - CHECK
a 30 minute wait for the "it's probably just late because it is the 1st day of school" school bus - CHECK
verify on local TV station that school was actually in session - WHO NEEDS TO?

Yep, that was our reality and here are the pictures from this morning to prove it.

So, we are trying it again tonight. We went to bed tonight again talking about how it is normal to be nervous or scared about the 1st day of school. We talked about how every other kid in her class is probably feeling the exact same way. We talked about how Mr. Stites (the principal) is not mean and she won't end up in his office tomorrow. We talked through the process of getting on and off the bus tomorrow morning. We talked about smiling versus crying when she thinks about mommy and daddy. There is nothing greater than sharing a conversation with a 5 year old! She is definitely nervous but I am confident she will do just fine. I love the transitions in life.

So off to bed we are too. She woke up at 2:12 a.m. this morning to see if it was time to get up and I can only imagine tonight will be no different. The cutest part of today was the fact that she was dressed, fed, and ready with her back pack on by 7:30, leaving her an hour to ponder the thought of loading the school bus. Hopefully she won't be up quite so early in the morning. Let's also hope that they don't cancel school again.

I was able to adjust my schedule to stay in town tomorrow until she loads the bus. I will try and capture one of her getting on the bus and will post it as soon as I return from my work trip. Otherwise, here are the pictures from her "1st" day of school. Yes, we feel silly but will always remember her 1st day.

I hope everyone has as fulfilling of a week as were are here in Louisville :)











Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

nanajo said...

I hope today was the "magic" day and that everything went wonderfully (with only a minor heartache).

Kate looked beautiful and very "ready" for her first day--the opposite of Jake who looks like he might sleep through a lot of life's milestones!

Whitney said...

Today was the day and she did great. A few tears as she was boarding the bus but according to her, she only cried twice.

I could not be more proud!