January 1st, 2012 - it is hard to believe that it is already upon us! I feel like I repeat myself every blog entry with the phrase..."where does time go?" But really, how is it 2012 already? How can it be possible that Jake will be 2 in 11 weeks? How is Kate already half way through Kindergarten? Wasn't my last blog entry about the 1st day of school? How is it possible that this June will bring us our 7th wedding anniversary? I guess it means that we are having fun because "time flies when you are having fun"!
We have no idea what this year will bring but I will continue to pray that we are blessed with the strength and understanding of when to stop and enjoy the moment and when to dig a little deeper to overcome. I have 3 personal resolutions all geared toward being a better person - being healthier and a more loving wife and mom. I won't go into the specific but I promise that they go way deeper than to just lose the 10 pounds that I need to lose. Don't worry, if the 10 pounds comes off, we will celebrate but I want to celebrate the small stuff that comes with each stage of childhood. I am fully aware that the window of opportunity is small that our kids think we rule the world and I plan to take full advantage of that in the upcoming year.
To ring in this new year, we celebrated with our dear friends Jon, April, and Jones Nodine and Gus, Ericka, and Owen Miller. I can't think of a more perfect way to spend the evening than snuggled up with the family and friends in a cozy house. We were introduced to a new tradition called the Quaker New Year. Our friend Ericka was raised Quaker and told us about the "10 pm midnight". It was the perfect way for a 5 year old (who has only seen past 10 pm on a handful of occassions) to ring in the new year. So as 10:00 neared, we got dolled up in our gear, we went outside, counted down the last 10 seconds, and blew our horns as loud as possible! Kate enjoyed the extra attention that everyone so generously gave her and we went to bed extremely happy parents! The boys were troopers as well but didn't get to enjoy the late night festivities. They all went to bed without problems at their usual 7 pm schedule and slept as if nothing was going on outside their little peaceful dreams.
Here are some pics. Thank you so much to the Nodines for hosting us! We look forward to trying it again next year!
Kate posing after April curled her hair and painted her nails (with sparkles of course)
HAPPY NEW YEAR...Quaker style
A kiss at 10 from her daddy
I didn't want to be left out
Maybe next year Jake will get to join in???
Jones (top picture) and Owen (bottom picture) enjoying a little extra playtime the next morning. Can you imagine what it will be like when Jake, Jones and Owen are a little older - WILD times ahead.

No comments:
Post a Comment