Sunday, April 17, 2011
It's official...our big girl is all grown up! Much to Ryan's dismay, Kate has her mama's movie watchin' attention span. I grew up watching less than 1 hour of TV per week and I don't have any memories of watching TV except watching Golden Girls on the very occasional Friday night that I stayed with Doc and Corky or watching a sporting event with my parents. It is not that I wasn't allowed or didn't want to...I just didn't have the attention span to sit for 2 hours to watch something that I didn't "have" to. The other truth is that from the time I can remember I was active every waking moment of every waking day, which meant that when I finally rested for longer than 5 minutes, I was fast asleep. Just ask Ryan the number of movies that I have fallen asleep during our 20 year relationship. Better yet, ask him the number I actually stayed awake...likely single digits. 6 years of marriage later and I am finally starting to enjoy the downtime of watching a movie and I can finally stay awake, mostly. So for the past 2 years of so we have tried to get Kate to stop moving for longer than 20 minutes to watch a movie. We have had a little luck at the theater, often lasting for ~45 minutes, than off to other things. We have also tried road trips, which again the interest lasts for an hour, max. Well, on Saturday night, our world changed. I know that is a drastic statement but it really did just change. The crappy weather earlier in the day led us to the YMCA pool (which was a blast for all 4 of us, expecially Jake) and then for a quick dinner out. Kate requested that we rent Tangled to watch after Jake went to bed. She requested some popcorn and some milk and her daddy did not disappoint. As soon as Jake went down the 3 of us piled onto the couch in the basement and Kate sat quietly and enjoyed her 1st movie from start to finish. I mean a full 90+ minute movie. We turned a corner in that she actually liked the experience too. This is big for our family as Ryan loves nothing more than relaxing and enjoying a great movie. So to say that Ryan's heart melted a little last night might just be an understatement...even if it means watching nothing but Disney movies for the next 20 years. As for Jake, we have no doubt that once he is old enough to stay up past 7, he will enjoy his fair share of movies...he just seems a little like that already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So sweet!!! I'm not a tv watcher much of the time, but BJ loves it and so does AC. I do enjoy movies, though...have y'all seen Princess and the Frog? I loved it!! That should be next on your family date night.
Ryan and you are such wonderful parents; Kate and Jake are so lucky to have you!!
Love you..Sarah
Post a Comment