Her room is special to me since she is using all the old furniture that I grew up with. The bed has been in my mom's side of the family for many generations and is still in great shape. I have so many memories in that bed, most memorably giggling with Sarah way past our bedtime. I have also passed down my collection of Madame Alexander dolls that my dear grandmother, Corky, and my aunt Betsy started for me. Betsy has generously given Kate 3 more for each one of her birthdays. Words cannot express how grateful I am for the collection of precious dolls. Lastly, her desk sat right next to my bed in my old room and I remember spending many hours there mulling over my homework in highschool.
I remember hearing before I had kids that once we did, we would feel even more connected to our parents. That statement is so true. Every night before I go to bed I check in on Kate and Jake. With every check, I have an overwhelming feeling of peacefulness, one that I wonder if my parents had each night they checked on me. This is one of those times that I feel very connected to my parents, my old house, and the true foundation of family. I hope that one day Kate and Jake will each get that same sense as they check in on their kids. And if we are lucky enough, they will get to use the same furniture for their kids.

1 comment:
ahhh I love it!!!! YOU are amazing to have gotten that done and it is so adorable. I love the way you describe your memories and of course I was thinking about giggling AND WAS SO TOUCHED you remember that too!!! I have never heard the expression that you feel closer to your parents when you have kids, but it is indeed true. I think I cut my own some slack and I love the way I see them with my children as now I'm the parent. I love you.
Post a Comment